Last week, TikTok passed 1.5 billion downloads worldwide. According to Sensor Tower, it is now the third most downloaded non-gaming app behind Whatsapp and Messenger. Having said that, please keep in mind that these figures don’t include third-party Android installs from China.
Whether TikTok is going to become the next big social media platform remains to be seen. We can only wait and see if the app will continue to grow at the same pace it has in the last two years. However, what we do know is that TikTok, owned by Chinese company ByteDance, has now been downloaded more than 1.5 billion times from the Google Play and Apple Store.
India has been a major factor in driving up the number of TikToK downloads, 31% of unique installs come from the country alone. In second place is China, accounting for 11.5% of downloads, then the United States with 8.2%.
In 2019 alone, TikTok gained 614 million downloads. Whereas, WhatsApp gained 707.4 (No. 1) million unique installs and Messenger (No. 2) 636.2 million. TikTok sits above Facebook (No. 4) with 587 million downloads and Instagram (No. 5) with 376.2 million.
Read Also: Disrupt Berlin (Dec 2019) Conference
How does TikTok Generate Revenue?
During its lifetime, TikTok users have spent $175 million worldwide, with Chinese users alone having spent $84.5 million on the app. The US users take second place with $62.4 million, then Great Britain at third with $6.9 million.
In 2019, TikTok generated $115.3 million from user spending, thus accounting for 65.9% of its lifetime gross revenue. The amount of users spending on the app has increased every month since earlier this year, peaking at $18.2 million in October.
You May Like: Kardaan App – Get Services at your Door Step
- TikTok has 500 million active users worldwide.
- 41% of TikTok users are aged between 16 and 24.
- 56% of TikTok users are male and 44% of users are female.
- Users spend an average of 52 minutes per day on the app.
- TikTok is available in 155 countries, and in 75 languages.
- 90% of all TikTok users access the app on a daily basis.
- In less than 18 months, the number of US adult TikTok users grew 5.5 times.
- TikTok ranked as the topmost downloaded app in Apple’s iOS App Store for Q1 2019, with more than 33 million downloads.
- TikTok was the third most downloaded app in the first quarter (Q1) of 2019, with 188 million new users.
- More than 1 billion videos were viewed every day in the last year.
To conclude, I think TikTok is becoming a threat to Facebook since it is popular with the younger generation Z, a demographic that Facebook is eager to sell to. Basically, TikTok is now the only app in the top 5 that Facebook doesn’t own. Since, Whatsapp (1), Messenger (2), Facebook (4), and Instagram (5) are all owned by social media giant – Facebook.
Let’s wait and see if TikTok maintains its position as the third most popular app in the world in 2020 or will it rise to the second or first place?
Do you think TikTok is a better social media platform than Instagram? Which feature is causing users to like TikTok so much? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Continue to check out Maticstoday for the latest news items, product reviews, security practices, and video game discussions.
Javeria Qureshi is a Content Writer and Web Developer at Codematics Inc. In her free time, you can find her watching Patriot Act with Hasan Minhaj, reading books or drinking chai. Search for her articles under the hashtag #JQArticle on Twitter or LinkedIn.